AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rookie NDVI question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

PAS.FL
Posted 1/8/2017 16:58 (#5754052)
Subject: Rookie NDVI question

I've been doing a lot of reading about the pros and cons of NDVI. Without hashing out all my observations from listening to various posts and articles, my impression is that NDVI is a valuable piece of information, but not the miracle data set as it can be sold at times. In addition, valuable data can come from NDVI and RGB and, as before, they can be valuable pieces, but stand alone are not as great as some of the sales pitches indicate.

I've also got the impression that the key to the value of the data may be to have multiple data sets so a trend can be followed. As the results of a single map are subjective and can vary based on time of day, cloud cover, and so forth, multiple maps showing a trend could be more meaningful. With that in mind, I had a thought that I would like some feedback on....

Instead of NDVI maps being done on an as needed or requested basis, would it be better to have a service where regular and somewhat frequent maps are made combining both NDVI and RGB? My thoughts were perhaps an actual NDVI 1X per month and RGB every week or every other week to provide a solid baseline and trend monitoring. Beyond that, should there be a weather event or something specific the grower is concerned about, and additional NDVI map could be made and there would thus always be a recent data set to compare to. If a serious enough incident, maybe not for formal crop treatments alone, but to show an insurance company clear evidence of the before and after condition.

I've been a pilot for longer than I can remember, but I'm very new to the ag side of things. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but I still have way to go, so I'd like to hear what your thoughts are. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)