AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My JD STS rotor sensor woes, kind of long story.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 10/26/2016 22:12 (#5602228)
Subject: My JD STS rotor sensor woes, kind of long story.

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Combined corn on Sunday. My dad always said you work on Sunday, you fix it on Monday. So true sometimes, Sunday things went smooth. First thing on Monday morning I started combining when my Thresher warning light on my JD 9560 STS came on. Talked to JD support they said either rotor bearing or rotor sensor is going bad.

Took it back to the shop and start tearing into it find problem. For those that have tore into this area you know how much a bearcat it is to get the two top bolts out of the shield in front of the rotor AND even worse putting back in.. What engineer designed those two bolt placement needs his butt kicked, putting an access door or even different placement would've been great. Took the sensor out and sure enough sensor wires had bare wires shorted out but luckily the bearing looked good.

Drive 25 miles to dealer, pickup new sensor and was told to use old lock nuts on new sensor as they didn't have replacement lock nuts for it on hand.

Go home and install the new sensor and give it that one last 1/4 turn to MAKE SURE it's snug and I hear a snap. One of those "Oh *hit" moments but it seems good to go so continue to put everything back together.

Go out and combine for two hours and heart sinks as as thresher warning lights up again and looked at the rotor speed and it was all over the board on the low side, dang.

Back to the shop and tear into it again to see if bearing was going out or maybe the sensor was damaged somehow. Sure enough that "Oh *hit" moment from earlier in the day came back to haunt me, the sensor had come lose and got tangled with the rotor sensor sprocket. But on the bright side bearing still looked good:-). By this time the first dealer is closed but another dealer is open until 7:30 p.m. Called them and yes they have a new sensor AND different style lock nuts on hand. Drive 45 miles to this dealer and pick up parts.

As you can tell in the pictures the old lock nuts are basically a single thread lock but the new lock nuts are like a typical nut and have 6-7 threads to lock on each nut.

Long story short, IF you ever need to replace a sensor on your rotor either don't OVER tighten it like I did or better yet make sure you get the better replacement lock nuts.

(IMG_3066.JPG)

(IMG_3068.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3066.JPG (76KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3068.JPG (97KB - 127 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)