AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ih 1480 straw chopper failure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Wisconsinred
Posted 10/23/2016 18:05 (#5596376)
Subject: Ih 1480 straw chopper failure

Southern Wisconsin
Title says it all have had two straw choppers fail in the last 3 years. Combine cane to us with I believe a 1600 series chopper splined drive shaft and pulley. Original one wallowed the splines off then we bought a used one from worthington started our beans today had the chopper in high sickle sections up in the section both pan pulled up like normal made two rounds and noticed a slight vibration didn't think anything of it, it's a 1480 it does vibrate some well 30feet later I heard a couple bangs like I picked up a rock I shut everything down as quick as possible got out checked the feeder nothing no rock started around the other side and the chopper belt was laying on the ground, the pulley was still spinning down and the chopper was laying inside, shaft twisted off right inside past the bearing, why?! There was nothing insides like a rock or big slug? I think this one from worthington may have been rebuilt and the shaft got too much heat? What a way to ruin a day!! Hope to get our Original on fixed. By the way the original had normal flange bearings not that Mickey Mouse single flange rubber thing!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)