AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! Long Post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

150 farmer
Posted 10/17/2016 00:25 (#5585595)
Subject: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! Long Post

Pontiac, IL.
As a few of you on this site know, I farm with my brother and his 35 year old son, Mike, (my nephew). My brother and Mike also have cattle together, which I rarely get involved with. On October 5, Mike was up at the World Dairy Expo in Madison, WI. with the show cattle. In a very freak accident: He was throwing a heavy, (oats hay) bale out of the livestock trailer, when his hand got caught in the twine and he tumbled out with the bale, hitting his head and jamming his neck, pinching a nerve, and causing which most likely will be permanent paralysis. In the next week he suffered several setbacks including a bowel blockage, lungs filling with fluid, lungs collapsing, pneumonia, and a spike in temperature. His future is still uncertain. Needless to say my brother has been spending a lot of time up at the hospital, along with doing the cattle chores, and trying to help us on the farm.
The second day after the accident, rab1964, (Roger Birch) called me and said he and some of the local farmers wanted to get together and help us out. Through Roger's leadership and organization, Saturday, a bunch of farmers and neighbors came together with combines, grain carts, trucks, wagons, and huge amounts of delicious food donated to feed all. In all, there were 18 combines, 31 semis, and countless grain carts and wagons that harvested 600+ acres of corn in approximately 6 hrs. Afterwards, through Roger's generosity, everyone met at Roger's shop to enjoy delicious food all donated by friends and neighbors.
Our operation is scattered for several miles, and Roger "spearheaded" and organized the combines, grain carts, trucks and wagons to go to 6 different fields to complete the 600+ acres of harvest. Everything went smooth with no problems.
I would like to take this opportunity to say a special THANK YOU to my Uncle, retired farmer Jim Hibler, who usually helps us, and has been there EVERY day, to help in any way he can.
Also, a big THANK YOU to Roger Birch, who initiated, and organized the group of farmers to do the harvesting. He, along with Willie VanWassenhove, and Charlie Brown made sure everything went smoothly. There were so many, many more who donated there time, machinery, food etc. Way to many to ever list on here. I would like to say "Thank You" to ALL who donated their time, and to all who have expressed sympathy and prayer.
We still have several hundred acres to harvest, but this was a TREMENDOUS HELP. Again, THANKS to all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)