AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My personal observation of the Oklahoma wheat crop tour
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jimsonweed
Posted 8/30/2016 09:06 (#5498883)
Subject: My personal observation of the Oklahoma wheat crop tour

W Texas
In early May, 2012 on a Saturday in SW Ok I saw a bunch of fat ladies in sandals and shorts with sunday hats standing in one of my wheat fields. About 20 people and not a pair of boots among them. Few of them were ate up with sandburs and howling like whipped pups. Edge of the field near the highway. One older gentleman with them.

I assumed there must have been a plane crash and stopped to help out.

No plane crash. Was the Official Oklahoma Wheat Crop Tour, or somesuch.

The old man was carefully explaining to the ladies how to count wheat heads and how to count wheat kernels, etc. They were standing in a low spot that had been denitrified by runoff from the rest of the field, which was generally spectacular. They were also in a dry corner of a pivot irrigated field.

Anyhow, I chatted with the old guy and he said the field would do around 30 bushel per acre. I told him the field had places that were well over a 100 and would average 90. He didn't seem too interested in checking a second area.

Not sure how their prediction statewide panned out, but that quarter section did 82 bushel and went into their calculator at 30. There wasn't a person in that group that had been on a tractor in the last 30 years and the old guy was really enjoying the attention from the ladies and not really committed to a realistic sample, etc.

So not sure how solid a group of folks they use up in corn country, but around here I tend to discount their predictions based on this anecdotal experience.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)