AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing Oats after Barley or Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Josh Slingerland
Posted 7/30/2016 19:28 (#5441463)
Subject: Growing Oats after Barley or Wheat

I'm a young guy from Southern Alberta, looking into getting into farming in the near future. I am wondering how well it works to grow oats every year after a Barley or Wheat crop. Since land is unaffordable, and money doesn't grow in trees, i was thinking I could carry myself a long ways if I made a deal with a local grain farmer. For example, I help him throughout the year with his fieldwork, and in trade for the free work, I grow oats on his land in the fall (after his crops are off) for cattle feed. I would cut/bale before the heads are totally developed, to keep developed seeds from falling behind and growing volunteer, and to increase protein levels. Would this work? Or will the oats just grow back the next spring like grass? If oats tend to grow back as volunteer, then this whole farming idea is basically smothered.
Thanks a lot, I look forward to hearing back. I've googled this with all kinds of different searches, and found no answers. To me it sounds like a genius idea, but overguessing myself won't help one bit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)