AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new bat wing mower ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 7/25/2016 21:19 (#5432426)
Subject: new bat wing mower ??

Finally have had our fill of our Bush Hog 12715. We've always had problems with it windrowing in heavy grass and eating up center slip clutches. It's a 2008, bought new. This year we've started having problems with the left wing wsnting to droop. Reset it with the turnbuckle and within 3-4 hrs it will be drooping several degrees. We've looked it all over seversl times and see anything oit of order. We've even tack welded the jam nut on the turn buckle to the threaded eye bolt but will still droop within 3-4 hrs. Plus we have had the hinges on that wing break loose twice. We've also talkes to three deslers & none have any clue to whats going on so have decided it's time it finds a new home.

We're not sure what to buy. Origin a lly thought about a Schulte but see they have heen bought by Alamo, which also oens Bush Hog, Rhino, and a couple others. Is the Schulte still as well built as they were or has Alamo cheapened them? Before the 2715 we owned a Woods 3180 but seemed like we were always repairing it, looking at a new HD18 but I don't see a lot of chsnges from the old 3180 we had. Have also looked at Landpride s but have read many posts on here about issues with their drivelines. Is this a common problem on all their models or just the light / med duty models?

Went & looked at a JD HX 15 today. Liked some of the things on it but felt it really wasn't that heavy of a mower. Also wasn't impressed with its hitch. On our BH , and on most of the other machines we have looked at they had a swivel hitch compared to t h e HXs fixed hitch. Most of our mowing is roadside ditche s, with some being fairly deep, so concerned about twisting the mower hitch or the tractors drawbar. For those of you who have HXs, is this an area to be concerned with? Any other thing we should look at? Son tslked to a neighbor who has one and said it was a POS.

How much heavier built is the CX series? Dealer didn't have one for us to look at. Looking in the book I see the CX15 is a little over 500# heavier than a HX15. Is the extra weight in the decking or frame? I see the CXs come with deck rings, they are a de a ler weld on option on the HX. Our 2715 has them, 3180 didn't & whenever we bent a blade it got into the deck, so deck rings are a must.,I also see the CX has a ball type hitch, which we feel would be a plus for what we mow. sny other differences between t H e CX compared to t h e HX that would make the CX worth the extra money? Also, anyone have problems with the air bags on the CXs compared to the springs on the HX?

Finally, any other batwings that would be worth looking at? I will admit we are hard on mowers so not interested in anythimg that is lightweight.. last question, are the foam filled airplane tires worth the extra cost over the laminated?

Edited by boog 7/25/2016 21:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)