AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Started my brokerage account. naive Qs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

stevr13
Posted 7/23/2016 17:16 (#5427970)
Subject: Started my brokerage account. naive Qs

Northeast Iowa
Hello everyone,

I have gotten set up with a marketing group based out of Cedar Rapids - the idea being if I can't be the biggest and best farmer, I might be able to be the best marketer. I must've skipped classes in college when we talked about futures markets because I have some questions I'll be bringing to my agency next week.

1) I set up the account to hedge. Not to speculate. This was an actual question on my account application and gave a disclaimer that if I wish to speculate, those contracts would have to be addressed in a certain way. Is there a legal reason as to why? Is there a real difference between a hedge account and a speculative account besides the action in which the trader makes? I'd like to have the option to buy a futures position and sell it as a speculator would if the opportunity arises.

2) What is a realistic minimum amount to deposit into the account? Is the daily limit swing for each contract the amount to maintain in the account? I wouldn't be trading much until I get a little more familiar.

I'll talk with the group more next week once everything is finalized, but I'm open to any more of that free advice I love reading here. I'm paying for a marketing advice from the brokerage until I get enough exposure to make my own best decisions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)