AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Return from Mayo's - Florida
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 7/20/2016 12:43 (#5421653)
Subject: Return from Mayo's - Florida

Coldwater, Michigan
My wife Diane and I would like to thank all the well wishers from NewAgTalk. Several of you expressed best wishes on this forum, and others wrote personal letters and experiences to us on the email address. We appreciate all of that.

Mayo's is an amazing place! They have beautiful grounds, and facilities, yes. But most of all the way they do the Doctors and testing, and seem to care all the way thru. We arrived on Tuesday morning June 14th and met our coordinating Dr. He was a pleasure to work with. We had sent all the tests and Medical records ahead of time. The team had had the chance to review each of the sets that pertained to their specialty. The coordinating Dr took some more info and then gave us our schedule for the next 2 weeks. 1st day we saw 3 Drs. 2nd day Diane had blood draws first thing then an endoscope in the afternoon. 3rd day, 3 more Drs. I think we only saw one on Friday. By then we were already seeing changes in her medication from what she had been taking, with explanations of why. You know most of the times one Dr won't change your medication that another Dr has prescribed? Not these guys!

2nd week much the same: on Wednesday and Thursday they had us attending a class all day to learn about changing lifestyles and habits to better deal with what was going on. A few in the class were much worse than my wife. We looked around the class and thought how lucky we are that Diane isn't as bad as some of them in the class.

They feel she has some kind of Neurological issue that has messed up the way her body reacts/responds to certain messages, such as hot/cold, pain, taste, smell, sunlight/darkness, touching and being touched. She has had a hard time keeping food down for most of a year. If she ate it would come back up. She could keep whole milk down, but not 2% or skim. That was pretty much her diet most of this past year. Couldn't even keep ice cream down. She started being this way in June last summer, during September/October she lost 20 # (Weighed 132# prior to getting sick). Lost a couple more before she stabilized. In may she came home from her Dr's visit and said "I gained 2 # last month". That was almost a triumph for us!

We were fortunate in that we stayed at a house in Jacksonville Beach that belongs to My daughter's betrothed (Chris). They joined us the second week. The house was less than a 10 minute drive to Mayo's in Jacksonville, Florida. We got lots of sun, saw lots of people, and got to meet Chris's whole family, and spent several days/evenings with them by the time we left 2 1/2 weeks later.

We/I met some special people while we were there and I am going to make a separate post about that.

Thank You everyone!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)