AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many years can you get out of the old Clay free stalls?(pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dave9110
Posted 6/25/2016 17:52 (#5375439)
Subject: How many years can you get out of the old Clay free stalls?(pic)

north-central Indiana west of Fulton
Built our first free stall only building in '79. Did it as cheap as could be done probably, and that is usually a mistake of course. Only 8' clearance and treated lumber around the bottom 4'. We used the old Clay 1 1/4" pipe stalls that you cement in. We had some already that we had put in the old tromp shed a few years pryer, and we retrieved those and bought more to finish out the 90 stalls......60 milkers and 30 dry cows and heifers. Some years later when the wood was rotting, we cut the posts off, poured footers and poured 2' walls.....took a couple years to get all sides done. Also made removable sides for summer. Finally to the point ! The stall were only 42" I believe and were rusting out at the curb. We removed them, turned them upside down and welded them as one unit to resemble regular suspended stalls. They were hung 48" apart this time. Have been there for some time. They don't get as heavy of use now because even though the dry cows are in one ally way, the other two only get some close up cows to freshen.
I think they are getting thin because one came apart at the weld and I fixed it in place by bringing in the welder yesterday. The rest appear solid but that may be deceiving !

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (132KB - 109 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (128KB - 89 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (130KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)