AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bandwidth shaping/sharing in the home
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 5/22/2016 09:22 (#5314265)
Subject: bandwidth shaping/sharing in the home

When we did the wireless internet service there was a lot of hardware to help keep everyone happy with bandwidth (no one user got it all unless he/she was the only one online). Now years later I feel like I'm running an ISP again at my home with 6 pc's and up to 7 phones (or more if friends come over). I realize most home routers have quality of service (QOS) settings, but just because there is a button to turn it on doesn't mean it works very well. We had a pretty nice DLink that had a super GUI, but in practice it worked best with all the "features" turned off. I'm trying TP Link that was highly rated, but it actually has no QOS feature.

I'm thinking about going back to ubiquity (we used it extensively in the wisp) and trying out a small edge router, but then I need to use it with an access point. Typically the indoor access points from ubnt, cisco are not multi frequency or as feature rich on the wireless side. Configuring a router like the TP link to be a bridged AP can be done but my experience doing this with older home routers was not so good.

Anyone here tried something like a ubnt edge router (or similar appliance) with a straight N access point (ubnt or similar) and have good results? My available bandwidth is 2 to 10mbs and and we rarely pull more than 500k at time. thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)