AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Confusion about WiFi in house- iDevices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/19/2016 07:40 (#5309647)
Subject: Confusion about WiFi in house- iDevices

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a Trend router that I use for WiFi in my house. I also have an HP Envy printer that communicates via WiFi to my computer. There are two iPhone 6s and and an iPad Air 2 in the house at times. The computer always uses the Trend652 connection for Internet access and the HP connection for printer use as is desired.

The majority of the time, my iPhone and the iPad Air 2 connect using the Trend652 connection to the outside world while in the house. Sometimes however the iphone/iPad switch to the HP-Print-6D-ENVY 4500 series connection. This is easily changed by going to settings and switching back to the Trend652 connection which I have done several times.

The iPad is used for game playing (not by me!) and when the system switches to the printer connection on the iPad then the data plan gets involved since the phone capabilities of the iPad are used for the connection. This results in using a large portion of the 2 gig allotment of my plan. At the moment, the majority of the data allotment has been consumed. I have respectfully asked that game playing be curtailed until the next billing cycle.

In looking at the WiFi settings screen on both my iPhone and the iPad, it indicates which WiFi is currently in use which should be the Trend652 in the house. Sometimes it has switched to the the HP connection which causes the problem. Under the Choose a Network section, the HP printer connection is listed. If I hit the circled I for Information there was a item stating "forget this connection" which I chose. Later when I returned to the settings menu, the HP network is still listed but when I go to the circled I, the forget this connection is no longer present but an item "Join this connection" is still present.

Is this the proper way to prevent the iDevices from switching to the HP printer network and staying on the Trend652 network while at home?

Edited by tedbear 5/19/2016 07:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)