AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn population impact on maturity in low yield area
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kirschenman
Posted 12/17/2015 09:41 (#4966408)
Subject: Corn population impact on maturity in low yield area

Southeastern Alberta
I farm in Western Canada in a dryland (10" annual precip) situation and just finished taking off 10 ac of corn that we couldn't graze because it got too mature on a dry hilltop. It yielded 53 bushels per acre and was the worst land we had (I don't think that number is going to crash the market!). So I am interested in seeing what we can do with grain corn in the area.

I have a planter on 30 inch rows. I am looking to do some population trials because it seems that lower populations than are recommended by the seed sellers are still yielding well in lower yield environments (surprise surprise). This past year I planted at 20 000 and 26 000. From what I have read from the dry areas of NE and KS, it seems that the rule of thumb is 7 to 10 bushels per 1000 seeds. So in my situation I think that my maximum yield potential is around 100bu/ac in a really good year because of rainfall and the need to stay in the low 70 maturity range. So I will hopefully be trying some populations around 10 000. Of course the seed company would like me to try 30 000 too!

Does anyone have any experience with super low plant populations for corn? It appears form other posts that it will yield similar to higher rates in a good year, but will preserve yield well in a dry year.

Also, does anyone have any data that shows if lower rate corn planting impacts maturity and moisture at harvest? It seems to me that I heard that corn acts differently than some other crops in that at lower populations it actually matures earlier than higher. If that is the case, I may be able to gain some yield potential by planting a longer season variety at lower rates.

Thanks so much. Corn is definitely a new thing around here on dryland, and most of the data and advice comes off of irrigation.

Edited by kirschenman 12/17/2015 09:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)