AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

frog eye and brown stem rot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rolling Prairie
Posted 9/13/2015 12:56 (#4786664)
Subject: frog eye and brown stem rot

NE Kansas
Have a 40 acre field that was diagnosed with frog eye leaf spot and brown stem rot earlier in the year. This is not a common problem in my area. It was something that seemed to take the field very quickly and with severe yield implications. The plants looked good one week, and the next week pods were dropping and the 2nd week leaves were turning. An agronomist and myself had been in the field routinely and were shocked . My question is where did this come from? My understanding is that both diseases carry over from infected residue and don't show symptoms until it is about too late. Going forward, I plan to turn this year's residue under, and plant corn next year. Not sure about the following year.

The field has been no-till corn/beans for about 15 years. Last year was corn. This past winter we tiled the field and consequently had to work the field down to where there was pretty much no residue. Beans were planted around May 3rd. Excellent weed control, but had to spray for insects late summer. (Spraying for insect damage is also an uncommon practice to this area.) At this time we also considered using a fungicide, but saw no reason to do so. The frog eye and brown stem rot symptoms started showing up about two weeks after bugs were sprayed. Neighbor's fields were planted mid June because of the rainy spring. He appears to have had no insect problems nor any foliar diseases.

Again, my question is where did this come from? Has it always been present and things were just right this year for it to take the field? Did it come from the seed I planted? Did it come from the insects? Did it come from the tile equipment which was in North Dakota?

Looking for some answers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)