AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cereal rye rate w/ Kinze brush meters ? and in cornstalks ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 9/11/2015 16:19 (#4783622)
Subject: Cereal rye rate w/ Kinze brush meters ? and in cornstalks ?

Well I just about have my seed plates ready to go to plant my cereal rye with my Kinze in 15" rows.

In the cornstalks, I need your opinions.....

1.) Should I plant the 2 - , 15" rows of cereal rye in between the 30" cornstalk rows, or should I plant at an angle ?
I am a little concerned of stiff stalks ??? ( because of excess tire / gauge wheel wear and depth control ) and so I am leaning away from planting at an angle.

2.) When I go to plant soybeans next Spring, If I plant with the rows, can I plant right on top of that cereal rye row ?
I am concerned about over drying of soil where I would be planting into heavy root mass......

3.) I am thinking of 60 lbs with a germ of 70-80 % for cover, I'll probably drill in 10 acres to try and let it go for seed.
I have about 5-6 seeds that fit in a single cell of a 60 cell ( black ) seed disc.

For my planter settings I am coming up with this for the math, please correct me if wrong !

On 60 cell disc ( black ) , on 15" rows, 180,000 soybean seeds per acre setting x 6 ( kernals of rye per cell ) = 1,080,000 seeds of cereal rye per acre divided by 18,000 seeds of rye per lb = 60 lbs per acre, then I realize I can adjust my rate per % of germ, or other rate recommendations.
so I would end up with 19 tooth driver and 28 tooth driven

Other suggestions ?

I am used to spreading the rye in the past, but am wanting ideas for planting it.
Any comments, suggestions, other ideas are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Edited by hf213 9/11/2015 16:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)