AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I think I screwed up,,,or down
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 7/27/2015 16:54 (#4702640)
Subject: I think I screwed up,,,or down

Long story short,,,I am trying to clear up a mess from another generation ago.

A house was built in 1990 and some not so good of ideas used. Too small of floor joists on too long of span with sub floor not secured well to floor joists. Looks like 5/8 plywood to me. Too few nails no screws no glue etc,,,then to compound the issue the thin layer of mahogany underlay was laid over than. I recall a convo between the two builders that said"Dont see no reason to nail down very much on underlay either,,,so didnt. Then a commercial type low loop tight carpet glued down to that.

For 25 years the dull roar vibrating sound source was blamed on everything in the area. Turns out there was 2 large chest freezers turned so low they never shut off. The compressors vibrate the floor at just right decibls,,, many days,,, which trans locates and follows floor joists to adjoining bedroom. Some nights its impossible to sleep in there. 2 years for me and I am still not used to it so can tune it out. Have to relocate to couch to get a few winks. Like I say you can not believe how LOUD it is in the quiet of the night.

Fast forward to today's project. Found exact place of each joist and screwed 2" torx construction screws right thru carpet floors and into joists every 4 " in the area. Joists are 16" spaced so question IS,,,do I need some fastening the two floors together between the joists? If so my 2" ones don't have threads for the last 1/2 to 3/4 inch so they are worthless in this.

A. Do I need some in field between?

B. Do I need shorter screws with threads all the way?

C.Or is there a better way to fasten this all together?

I need to know before I slide the freezer back in case have to work under neath it(1 person and a full freezer is a bad combo) I can move it on sliders but barely

When you have to get up at 3:30 every morning tired enuf without being kept awake half the night or all night.

Edited by don@nebr 7/27/2015 17:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)