AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shark tooth VS Tyne wheels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Leene
Posted 6/4/2015 21:49 (#4609291)
Subject: Shark tooth VS Tyne wheels

Franklin NE
Has anyone used both? I am leaning towards shark tooth on my Martins. Would like some input. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Buster 50
Posted 6/5/2015 08:32 (#4609916 - in reply to #4609291)
Subject: RE: Shark tooth VS Tyne wheels

North West IA/western AZ
I have both on my planter right now. Tine tooth on the rear and shark tooth on the front of my Kinze 3600. I really see no difference. Either one will work well.
Beef State Ben
Posted 6/5/2015 08:33 (#4609917 - in reply to #4609291)

NW of Lincoln, NE
I've used both types from Yetter, but they were on very different machines so it's a little difficult for me to compare them.

It seems to me that the sharktooth type are less likely to jam up. The tines sometimes either stab something or grab something in between the tines and hold onto it, stopping a wheel. It doesn't happen often, maybe once every 75 acres.

I have not had any problem with hairpinning out of either of them, but then I've only ever run the tines in former bean ground. I suppose if I ran the tines in corn ground I might have more jamming issues, too.

Having run both, I'd call it largely a toss-up, and would probably pick up whatever I could find cheapest at the next consignment auction. Others may have differing opinions, of course.
Bristol Hillbilly
Posted 6/5/2015 19:56 (#4610696 - in reply to #4609291)

Palestine, IL 62451

I used both on a 7000 series planter for quite a few years. They were Yetter. The finger type did not interlock. With that being said, I would go with the shark tooth without a second thought. I did run the depth bands on them and really liked the way they floated .

Leene
Posted 6/5/2015 21:00 (#4610819 - in reply to #4609291)

Franklin NE
I need new wheels on my Martins there is about 50/50 here on both. Thanks for the replies.
69roadrunner
Posted 6/5/2015 22:16 (#4610996 - in reply to #4610819)

North of Iowa
Happen to have both on planter, spikes work in clean till, sharks work better in higher residue . Depends on your kind of tillage.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)