AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmall 656 engine problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cottonbills
Posted 4/26/2015 17:22 (#4539180)
Subject: Farmall 656 engine problem

Upstate SC
We have a Farmall 656. Its a diesel with a narrow front end. Its a 1967 model but even though its 47+ years old it and several other Internationals still work hard. We have some newer tractors that we tend to use first but with one in the shop my father was planting cotton with the 656 this past Friday. On a nice days he would really prefer it to a cab anyways. And its pretty darn efficient on fuel too. It was running great until it suddenly threw a rod (or who knows exactly what happened but a major failure in the engine). I know for a fact that the tractor has worked hard since it arrived new on the farm. Last year the head was replaced because of a crack. Other than that there has never been any engine work done to it. So there's certainly no complaints about the tractor. Now we are trying to figure out our best options. We would like to get it running again sooner rather than later.

I see a rebuilt '68 engine for a diesel 656 listed online. What do you think the chances are it matches mine? What might be a fair price for it as it doesn't list the price? I plan to call Monday.

Another idea is for us to take the engine out and send it somewhere to be repaired. Time is limited for us this time of year and rebuilding it ourselves is not something we feel real comfortable with. However, we could definitely take the engine out, have it repaired, and then put it back in. Does anyone know any shops that specialize in rebuilding engines such as mine?

Thanks for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)