AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Semen tests this year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 4/1/2015 05:05 (#4489638)
Subject: Semen tests this year

NS Canada
How are people making out with semen tests this year - with what seemed to be a colder more winter like - winter for everyone?

There seems to be some issue locally with bulls not passing their semen tests, they are blaming the winter - but it really didnt seem that bad or cold. There was a small sale last week of a little over a dozen bulls, and they announced 2 that failed and they would be going back to the farm to be retested in 1 month, and if they didnt pass then, you would be refunded. They only got a bid on 1/2, and struggled to get that bid as people didnt want to be stuck with no bull that close to turn out if they failed again.

Now our Eastern Canada bull sale is this weekend and I've heard there was only 108 bulls this year, down from 130 or so usually. And only 51 passed their test.. So there is gonna be a shortage of bulls to sell, which could drive prices.. No word of retests on these bulls though, they just get booted from the sale. Which is too bad for the owners, after putting up the time and money to put them on test.

I have my bulls for the season already and they wintered inside so I should be ok, and actually my main bull was kicked out of the same sale a few years back for a wart as I mentioned before, treated him and he's been great ever since. So if people want to take a chance on the rejects they can be sought out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)