AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting Started
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hopin&Dreamin
Posted 3/27/2015 16:00 (#4480687)
Subject: Getting Started

WC Ohio
Hello all. I have been wondering how everyone on the board got their start farming.

I'm 24 y.o. and grew up on a small 100 head dairy until 2 years ago when we sold the cows and began raising a couple hundred heifers for a nearby dairy. Other than that we farm ~300 acres and raise ~1500 finishers while doing custom hay/straw/fodder baling/wrapping.

Anyways, I graduated college a year ago and moved back to be closer to the farm. Recently my brothers and I have been given a chance to buy the hog finisher and the equipment needed to run our Custom Baling & Wrapping business. Dad will only sell to us if all four brothers are involved, to be fair, but one brother doesn't want to buy in as he is still in college. I feel like this would be a great start for us as our ROI is penciled to be ~4yrs(thanks to a generous selling price by dad) and with multiple older farmers retiring with no heirs over the next 5 years, a little bit of equity could go a long way. Not to mention that our father is planning on using the money from the sale to expand our heifer holding capacity.

Feel like I am in a bit of a road block to start farming as I want to get the ball rolling.

What are your thoughts? How has everyone else gotten their start and what age?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)