AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The BIG question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

swopefarms
Posted 2/27/2015 12:57 (#4418343)
Subject: The BIG question

Budgets are getting tighter for 15 crop with high inputs and lower crop prices. This is no surprise but the surprising questions and debates I've been involved in is this: do I invest my money in getting my seed treated with one or multiple mods of action , do I spread for the crop to be planted or for both, do we invest in multiple chemicals and programs, will insecticides and fungicides be worth my effort and money. This is more in beans this year or at least in my are( south central IN) than corn because the corn acres are going to be down due to inputs including high rent!

I know you have to start with a balanced fertility plan and address those issues first. Next I wouldn't even think twice about treating my beans with the Cadillac treatment. I've never tried it but I'm going to inoculate my beans this year because 9 out of 10 say it has improved yeild. There's no question you have to throw all your weight around when it comes to a burndown and post application of herbicide. Do insectidies and fungicides pay for you guys? Going to do the fungicide but not the insect unless I have a problem. This seems expensive and will more than likely end up with higher yielding crops.

Are you guys going all out to maximize yields this year with lower prices and tighter budgets to gain every cent out of every acre or just cut way way back and let it ride until we see what this year brings us? Seems a lot of guys are having this chat and I would like to hear what the unanimous decision is out across the country.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)