AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed for Paths
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

LawFarm
Posted 1/29/2015 12:08 (#4347213)
Subject: Seed for Paths

S. Iowa
We're in the process of closing a quarter-mile dirt road adjacent to one of our farms, with the result being that the county will put a gate up and we'll be in charge of maintenance along with the neighbors. The road is in a partially wooded bottom, and the shallow ditches stay farily wet for most of the year. I'd like to seed it down to something low maintenance, hardy, and will stand up to and occasional pickup and light tractor traffic. And occasional flooding. The road leads only to CRP ground, so we won't need to bring much, if any, larger equipment in. I've heard some folks have success converting an old right of way like this into decent hay ground, so thats an option, but my expectations are pretty low and its only about an acre total. We would plan to just mow the top 20 feet every month or so. It is dead level and straight, though and the county agreed to put a nice crown on the road before closure. The ditches are nearly pure reed canary grass, which tend to try to creep across the road between gradings, so if we did nothing but mow that would probably take over. Any suggestions? Brome and red clover? Something with a rhizome or stolon? This is in South Central Iowa. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)