AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Tale of two charts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Tara Farms
Posted 11/28/2014 07:54 (#4206447)
Subject: The Tale of two charts

Red River Valley
Am I the only one who found it Interesting how two different poster posted charts that seemed to say two totally opposite points of view ?

JonSCK posted a chart showing how gas consumption in this country has moved forward unabated since 1998 in spite of a drastic move higher in prices.

On the same post 7720gas showed a chart that clearly shows that vehicle miles traveled is unchanged from around 1998 levels this chart clearly shows that from 1998 to around 2005 miles climbing but then dropping off into today at a pretty steep decline.

Now I will be honest and tell you my personal belief was that the US has curtailed driving habits, along with the improvements in gas mileage and the recent advance in electric car purchases would have lead me to believe that the Increase in gas consumption would not have been what Jon's chart seemed to show. Golly how can it be, Oh Well the charts says so.

well when 7720 posted his info I thought I need to look into this a little deeper.

So I started digging and thinking ( I know a dangers decision ) and then I appeared to me as if from above ( but truly from GOOOOOGLE ) You see Jon's chart shows Gasoline production in the US and HE in turn disseminated ( I think) that if we produced the Gasoline than we used it when reality is that since 1998 Exports of finished oil products have seen a very Measurable Increase and If what I read and decipher from a couple of the charts I have seen it would seem that more than the increase in product has been accounted for in Gasoline Exports.

So unless I am truly confused ( and that is highly likely ) by the two charts and the other Info I have run across it seems that things on a chart or spread sheet are not always a true picture.

BTW - I am not sure if 7720gas chart is for all miles driven or miles per car driven ?? so this just adds a little more confusion but at this point I think it is for all miles driven???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)