AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got my corn plot off with late planting observations.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

arcticcatfarmer
Posted 10/25/2014 06:55 (#4144061)
Subject: Got my corn plot off with late planting observations.

Tip of the Thumb of Michigan

Some back ground on my plot.  I'm not going to post the actual results for a personal reason.   The yields ranged from 172-195 bu.

First it was planted May 19.  Then we got about 300 gdu's less than normal.  We  also had perfect early rains, followed by heavy dews and foggy mornings.  The normal max range RM is 100day and that is if you have your own dryer.  Other wise it's 96day. This plot was in 6 days earlier than our production ground.

My conclusions;  When planting very late it does not pay to switch hybrids to shorter days (I've seen this through out my career).  If there is not enough heat for the 90-92 day, it will be nearly as wet and yielding less.

This also confirms why we have grown pioneer for my entire life.  We always are trying a different brand, but nothing handles tough years like P here.

The general summary is, as usual, the 92 days were the same moisture 33%ish as the 96day, while the 92 days also gave up 10-15 bu.  

The P numbers were 4-6% dryer until I got to the 98 and 100 day P.  I've lived this trend in cold years my whole 40 years here by the lake.

It is also common for P competitors to shave a few days off their hybrids, meaning that the M brand's 95 day is really a 97 or 98 compared to P.  Yes I know everyone rate the RM different, but their salesmen never seem to tell me that.  I like to compare yields of "like" moistures rather than like RM's.  This is important here, because corn rarely gets below 20%.   Moistures are usually from 26-22% through our typical harvest.  They might be closer if it was to get dried to 16% in the field.

Everyone's experiences are so different around the country.  I really like to see the way different farming has to be done around the country.  If I had to move to the corn belt, I doubt many of my practices would translate.  Or to the Plains states.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)