AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting a farm back next year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

westfarms
Posted 10/23/2014 21:07 (#4142118)
Subject: Getting a farm back next year

I farmed this farm about 5 years and the landlord was fine with everything until some guys from out of the area (about an hour drive away in the truck) came in and offered big $$ for a 5 year lease, with stipulations on lowering the rent if corn went below $4 and beans below$10. This is a 60 acre farm and they leased 2 other small farms close to this one. It was spring when they came in and I already had seed, fert. and chemicals bought, so he and I worked out a share arrangement for last year (2013) and I farmed it knowing they would have it in 2014. He would only do a 1 year lease with them, but they agreed to it.

Well with the commodity prices already down the rent they were paying on the other farms went down about $75/A, and in my opinion is still too high for the type of ground that it is. Well I got a call in July wanting to know if I would farm for him again next year because these guys didn't know what they were doing. Unfortunately it will be left in much worse shape than when I left it a year ago. I'm hoping they will get in before it's too late to spray or plant some rye this fall but I have my doubts. We had some mairstail problems on this farm like everyone else around here has, but had been able to keep it mostly in check with some fall spraying.

I was there a week ago meeting with him about adding a little extra to one of the fields and I took this pic of one of the bean fields, yikes!! The corn strips aren't much better.

Todd

(20141009_134938[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20141009_134938[1].jpg (64KB - 166 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)