AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tetanus Is Nasty Stuff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LJR
Posted 10/22/2014 20:44 (#4140458)
Subject: Tetanus Is Nasty Stuff

NW Ohio
Lost a calf to tetanus today. 200# Holstein steer I got in on Sunday. Was at the bunk eating last night and was stiff as a board this morning. Treated with Tetanus antitoxin and a big dose of penicillin this morning. Came home from work with little improvement, tried to tube him to get some fluids in his system and couldn't even pry his jaw open. Ended up putting the calf down, hard to see them suffer like that. Never had a calf with tetanus before, was very surprised how quickly it takes over their body.

I usually vaccinate all our calves for tetanus, forgot to ask the guy I bought them from if he did as he did the dehorning and banding. Never can communicate too much between a buyer and seller about cattle history. Tetanus seems like one of those vaccinations that a lot of people overlook. Called the seller and let him know what happened, he had no clue about tetanus as he was just starting out. I informed him what he needed to get to vaccinate the calves he has now and I think we'll be able to work something out on the lost calf. Nice when a seller stands behind their cattle in an 'iffy' situation like this. Also reminds you how much there is to learn when your first starting out and not always a lot of people to learn from. Don't forget to try and pass on a little knowledge to the next guy. I know I've spent a lot of money learning the hard way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)