AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

interesting phone call I just got and this whole water quality discussion in Ohio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

conservation cop
Posted 8/6/2014 16:45 (#4005120)
Subject: interesting phone call I just got and this whole water quality discussion in Ohio

Gettysburg, PA

I just thought it was kind of funny timing, as I've been reading the comments on here about the Toledo Ohio water issue and the blame that farmers are receiving, rightfully or wrongfully, on the issue, I get a text from one of our county farmers.  Text says "Call me when you have time to talk".  Now that could be a really loaded request depending on what it is exactly that he wants to talk about.  I'm not "on duty" but, I want to return the call hoping that it isn't something bad.  So, I grab a beer from the fridge and sit on the deck and make the phone call.    I dial the number and the farmer answers by saying "Brian, I got a sample bag down here I need to give you".  Clueless, I say "sample bag of what?"  Farmer, "I am mixing up a 13 species cover crop mix that I am planting on 100 acres or so of wheat stubble that i want you to see!"  We then go on to talk about his plans, cover crops in general and how convinced he is of their benefits, the methods we can use to get more farmers in the county to try them etc...  After about 20 minute or so talking,  I hang up and think to myself "5 years ago I would NEVER have expected to have that conversation!".  It just made me realize that you farmers really are trying to do your part for water quality, soil quality and the environment.  Folks really need to see the interest and fascination (for lack of a better word) that farmers are showing for things like no-till, strip till, cover crops and soil quality.  I think the ability to "marry" farming and the environmental concerns do exist!

Sorry for the long post, I just thought it was a neat story to share.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)