AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Wisconsindairy
Posted 6/25/2014 21:46 (#3937671)
Subject: What would you do?

Freedom, WI
I know this is a last minute decision, but I have to pick a high school to go to. I was planning on going to the one, but out of curiosity looked at the other and saw that it might be a school for me to consider.

FVL-It is a private Christian school that I am familiar with. All of my friends are going there and I already know some of the teachers. They have a higher education standard than most and have a STEM program. (science, technology, engineering, and math combined to focus on engineering) It would cost about $5000 for me to go there. (money isn't really an issue right now though)

Freedom-It is a public school that I am totally unfamiliar with and know only a few people. They have ag and automotive classes (besides the usual) with an automotive instructor that seems like a great guy. I don't know any of the teachers but would like to tour the school this week to see what I think. It does not have quite as big of workload as FVL, so that would possibly leave me some time to pick up a course at the local technical college. There are less required classes, so that would give me a bit more time to do what I want.

Both schools are about the same distance away, so driving there is not a problem. That is all I can think of right now, but if I think of more, I will edit this.

I am not looking for you to make this decision for me, but I am just looking for your thoughts and advice on what to do with my next four years of life.

Thanks,
Sam

Thank you everyone for the insight and opinions you have given me so far. I want to take a school tour of Freedom yet, but FVL seems like the general opinion. I was at the Deere dealer today to pick up our tractor and had to get some parts. Parts manager asked me where I was going to high school, and I told him I wasn't exactly sure yet. He told me to "give FVL a whirl" because he lives close to the school and sees a lot of positives come out of there. And then there is also a mechanic that went through FVL, (local farmer) went through the Deere training program, and is now a mechanic at this dealership. I guess I realize now that a high level of math and science can't really be learned outside of school but most mechanical things can be.

I should probably start thinking about college too. I haven't looked into a ton of them , but Northeast Iowa Community College seems like a good one. I would like to stay in the ag industry, but would consider something like welding. I have been told a few times to work off the farm for a while. The dealer I talked about above will send you down to Madison for training and pay for almost everything. In exchange, you have to work at their dealership for a minimum of three years. I will definitely look into this program a bit as I get older, but just have to narrow down what exactly I want to do.

Staying on the farm is my #1, but a lot of that education comes from hands-on and learning from your mistakes, which is sometimes the best way to learn. Being a welder or JD technician would be great careers and would offer lots of opportunities along the way. I know I have to make that decision sooner than I think, but I have time yet.

Edited by Wisconsindairy 6/26/2014 21:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)