AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Odometer Fraud - Lesson Learned
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MasseyMan1089
Posted 12/8/2013 08:07 (#3500691)
Subject: Odometer Fraud - Lesson Learned

I finally decided and purchased a little Nissan truck to buy just for scooting around town, etc. I found it on Craigslist from a small time dealer guy. It is a 1997 model with 156k miles (or so I thought). I usually buy a CarFax report before I purchase any vehicle, but for some reason I decided not to this time. I was cleaning out the glovebox when I got home and I found a carfax folded up in the glovebox. I started reading it and saw the last reported mileage from 11/01/13 (by a local Nissan dealer) was 197k miles! I walked over and looked closely at the odometer and I could see where the plastic was pried against by the second digit. The guy rolled back 40k some miles off the truck! I was sick, couldn't believe it. I ran inside, purchased a new carfax and it shows mileage discrepancy at an emissions station. The title shows "exempt" from reporting because of the age. I have not contacted the seller yet - I was going to call the GA consumer protection place to see my options. Anyone ever fought this battle before? Word to the wise - ALWAYS buy a carfax, doubts or not. I'm not seeking money from the guy - just want to make sure he does not / has not been screwing others on more expensive vehicles and hopefully he get a large fine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)