AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat take it to harvest or cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Reese
Posted 3/10/2013 18:02 (#2955802)
Subject: Wheat take it to harvest or cover crop

Cedar Bluff, AL
Just looking for opinions. When I planted my wheat, cotton prices were not that good and was looking at getting worse. So my thoughts were to try and double crop cotton (soybeans deer pressure to great) behind the wheat which most people say is pretty risky in my area. I t might make it might not and I may not be able to get it to open. But now cotton prices are a lot better which has changed the game. Wheat closed at $6.94 Friday. I don't know what the bases was. I did not book any wheat and the only cost I have in my wheat crop as of right now is seed cost. But its time to spray it with harmony, axial and/or osbrey and side dress it just as soon as it gets dry enough. And later on I would have to spray it with that fungicide for vomitoxin. I could have booked cotton Friday for $0.84cents and all the people I have been talking to say it going to go a little higher. Like the low to mind $0.90's. So that being said what would you all do. Take the wheat to harvest or use it for a cover. Farmers around here say if cotton prices get so you can book for $0.90 cents or more which will probably be about $0.85 cent in your pocket that they would probably use it for a cover crop. But I need to make decision with the wheat within the next 7-10 days or when ever it dries up up enough to get over it without rutting the ground up like a lot of people have already done. Whats your thoughts. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)