AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drill/Planter seed placement and populations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

J.L.
Posted 1/3/2013 22:41 (#2797288)
Subject: Drill/Planter seed placement and populations

Iowa
I've seen several posts that comment on drills and poor soybean placement/poor stands and the need to up the populations. What part about a drill makes them come up short on placement? By placement, I'm refering to depth not spacing. Lets talk JD 455 conventional till drills and JD 50/90 series no-till units. I can see not having a guage wheel beside the disk opener on a 455 may cause inconsistant depth. I would guess having a tillage tool the does and excellent job of leveling would go a long ways on how consistant a 455 would do placing the seed. On a 50/90 series there is a guage wheel beside the opener which "should" give good depth control. Then there is the firming wheel that "should" shove the bean in the bottom of the trench. So is it the closing wheel/wheels? The 455 has optional double closing wheels similar to a planter and I think a lot of 50/90 series get aftermarket closing wheels to improve performance. I'll be the first to say with lower populations on a drill, the stands may look a little spooky compared to wider rows. But a guy has to rememer there is a lot less plants per foot when you decrease row spacing and leave population alone. Thanks for any opinions. I should add, my exp. is beans following corn. I don't have the first clue about beans following wheat.

Edited by J.L. 1/3/2013 22:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)