AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Welding on gas tank update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Dennis SEND
Posted 12/14/2012 00:38 (#2750774)
Subject: Welding on gas tank update

Today after taking in everyone's advice NOT to weld on a tank that has had gas in it, I called R&R petroleum in Fargo ND they will install new bottoms in fuel tanks and other stuff, basically they said first they they would do on a gas tank is drill a couple of holes in the side so they can get an air power saws all started in there they then cut a hole in the tank large enough to get inside, he said they pour cutting oil on the blade as they are cutting to cool blade and prevent sparks, they then shovel any crud out of the tank followed by a steam washer to clean the tank, they then get the cutting torch out and cut the bottom off and replace it if nessary, he did say if it had diesel fuel in the tank you could "probally" weld on it without any issues as long as you are careful and use low heat, as you obviously don't need great penetration on the weld just to hold a pump on, however for now I am just going to put a post in the ground to hold the pump up and will incorporate a base to mount the pump on into my containment system I am going to build this summer.

Edited by Dennis SEND 12/14/2012 00:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)