AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Throwing out good computers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chris
Posted 12/1/2012 15:57 (#2727088)
Subject: Throwing out good computers.

East central Iowa

There have been suggestions from time to time to upgrade to a new computer because the old one is running XP or Vista and it's slow. 

I'm fortunate in having faster computers come to me from time to time and my computer isn't really that slow.  One thing I've noticed is that the new machines aren't any faster for web browsing, emailing or putting numbers in a spreadsheet.   The limiting factor is the operator or the Internet connection. 

I've gotten some older XP machines that just seem to crawl.  Re-installing XP and all the updates, removing all the "helpers" that people have put on their computers and all the special malware and antivirus programs that either they or their knowledgeable relatives have put on renders these machines a lot faster.   Lastly and importantly some of these machines have a whopping 256MB of ram.  Putting in 1 or better 2 GB or ram makes them about as fast as any of the new machines on the market when it comes to writing a letter, emailing or web surfing.  Especially true for people with slower connections to the Internet.

Very few people do anything with their computer that requires 16GB of ram, a GeForce GTX 690 video card with 4GB or memory or an Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition CPU.   Most of them or you just browse the Internet, e-mail and maybe do some bookwork.  Things that work just fine with an old 2. something GHz processor and onboard video.  If they need more storage a lot of times they'd be better off with an external drive for all those digital pictures.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)