AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Idea to solve the death tax and medicare
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

souldout
Posted 11/29/2012 13:43 (#2723477)
Subject: Idea to solve the death tax and medicare

Please keep this civil and from being a boiler room topic. A simple thought: What if the estate tax was lowered to 10%. Period. No exemptions. I know, I know....we all pay taxes all our lives, then have to pay again to die. I think we can all agree that estate taxes are not going away, so just hear me out. Lower them to 10%. Next, what if medicare had to be reimbursed from one's estate before any distributions to heirs. In other words, keep track of how much money is spent through medicare over a person's lifetime (from 65 on) and deduct that amount from a person's estate to pay off the medicare bill. Statistics show that the most money is spent on healthcare the last few months/days of life.
I see several advantages:
-The 10% estate tax could go to pay for those without an estate.
-This would encourage saving, knowing that there may be a chance now(unlike with a 55% estate tax) of passing savings on to heirs.
-This could reduce frivolous medical tests. Patients would refuse them, knowing that they now have to reimburse medicare costs.
-Accountants and lawyers (in other words, most lawmakers- they have to buy in to this) would still get their cut handling the paperwork.
-Good health and good habits are rewarded. If you don't need that quadruple by-pass, then good for you.
-For those that say we need an estate tax to keep money/assets moving, this would still do that.

Here is what we do know.... it isn't working the way it is. Could use some tweaking.....
Again, please keep this civil.
Flame away!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)