AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Virus/reformatting drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 11/29/2012 10:32 (#2723266)
Subject: Virus/reformatting drive

Alton, Ia
Here's the story.... Had a PC with Trojan:Dos/Alureon ? on it for awhile, with MSE and Malwarebytes. Kept getting warning from MSE, have about 45 emails back and forth with support at MBAM, kept getting told it's a "false positive"..... until that PC no longer does the home network thing and kid's homework is corrupted. (This first para is basically a vent against MBAM tech support. further research says Alureon is a nasty bug that should have been dealt with sooner).

So..... I have downloaded and ran over a dozen virus tools... eset, kaspersky, vipre, MGtools, etc, etc. Still get error when trying to update MSE that based on Microsoft webpage is a Alureon rootkit issue. Page says to use XP install disk to repair boot sector

So.... try to use XP boot disk to repair root. It installs, then stops because disk has a virus, recommends chkdsk /f, done that several times.

Then I realize this is kid's homework PC, all it really has on it is MSoffice, which I have the CD for, and a bunch of free downloadable stuff. So, let's reformat and reinstall... Rather than keep fighting this virus, let's just wipe that sucker clean and start over. Every time I try to format, it says volume in use, can't do and stops me.

I'm inclined to make a boot USB thumbrive and then reformat the drive, and then "hopefully" the XP Cd will start and reinstall correctly.

Will that work? Any other suggestions on how to forcibly reformat and start over?

Could install Windows 7 also, have the package here, but would rather deal with one headache at a time. Besides, I like XP.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)