AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting wheat, soil preparation, soil pH, Lime vs Chicken Litter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DeutzTractorMan
Posted 11/22/2012 11:13 (#2710756)
Subject: Planting wheat, soil preparation, soil pH, Lime vs Chicken Litter

This is some new fields I acquired to farm. They have been out of production for a couple of years. I have never planted wheat as a grain crop to harvest. Would like to plant wheat and have brush/ undergrowth which has to be tended to ( bush hog/burned or cut in with disk) before planting . This late in the wheat planting season which scenario below #1 or #2 would be the best soil preparation approach for the best crop management???

Concerns of soil pH and Lime
Soil group and pH of fields
Group 1. Sandy soil with soil pH of 5.4 , 5.7 , 5.9 and soil test recommendation calls for 1 ton lime per acre
Group 2. Loams and Light clays with soil pH of 6.0 , 6.2

The reason I questioned the lime is
1. I may only have this land to farm for only 1 maybe 2 years. Soil pH is borderline strong acid
     6.5 or lower - Acid - -
     5.5 or lower - Strong Acid
2. Also this late in the planting season trying to get lime deliverd/ spread can take more time and run further behind planting wheat.

Do you feel in the short run 1-2 years if I did not lime field will crop suffer significant loss in wheat crop yield??? If so, what percent or bushels per acre with normal weather / good crop growing conditions.

Chicken Litter vs. Lime
What is your opinion on spreading chicken litter instead of lime??
Chicken litter is a good source of fertilizer and I have been told it will also suppliment for the 1 ton per lime recommendation requirement.

Its late in the planting season and also we have not had a good hard killing frost yet.
Review pictures of some fields I am planning to plant wheat on and give your advice of the best tillage / soil preparation approach which would best benefit the wheat crop.
Welcome any other soil preparation/crop planting recommendations

Scenario #1
Bush hog brush / undergrowth.
Disk around field and burn off.
Disk with heavy cutting
Disk with leveling disk or field cultivator
Then plant wheat with conventional grain drill

Scenario #2
Disk with heavy cutting disk probably 2 times to cut in brush/growth good
Disk with leveling disk or field cultivator
Then plant wheat with conventional grain drill

NOTE:

Scenario #1 would be more cost efficient per acre as per to equipment and fuel cost
Scenario #2 will cost more per acre for equipment and fuel. but will it be beneficial to cut in organic matter for soil conservation and reserve soil moisture??

Which do you feel will be the best field /soil preparation/ crop management approach this late in the year. ??

Happy Thanksgiving

Below is a soil sample results and fertility recomendation for wheat of one of the fields in picture with lowest soil pH
SOIL TEST RESULTS
Crop Wheat
S o i l
Group* 1
* 1. Sandy soil (CEC ‹ 4.6 cmolckg-1)
pH** 5.4
Pounds/Acre
Phosphorus
P*** M35
Potassium
K*** H112
Magnesium
Mg*** H51
Calcium
Ca*** H528
RECOMMENDATIONS
LIME-STONE 1.0 Tons/Acre
Pounds/Acre
N 100
P 40
K 0
Comment 1
Comment No.1: Soil acidity (low pH) can be corrected with either dolomitic or calcitic lime.
Comment 6
For small grains or small grains plus ryegrass planted on fallowed fields in early September for grazing, apply 100 pounds of N at planting and 60 pounds N in late winter to early spring. Ryegrass planted alone for grazing should receive no more than 60 pounds of N in the fall and up to 100 pounds N in late winter to early spring. For grain only, apply 20 pounds N per acre in the fall and 60 to 80 pounds in the spring. The fall N can be eliminated following a good
soybean crop or other legume.

Soil Group
* 1. Sandy soil (CEC ‹ 4.6 cmolckg-1)
* 2. Loams and Light clays (CEC = 4.6-9.0 cmolckg-1)
* 3. Clays and soils high in organic matter (CEC > 9.0 cmolckg-1)
* 4. Clays of the Blackbelt (CEC > 9.0 cmolckg-1)
Soil pH
7.4 or higher - Alkaline - -
6.6-7.3 - Neutral - -
6.5 or lower - Acid - -
5.5 or lower - Strong Acid

Edited by DeutzTractorMan 11/22/2012 11:45

(Field cr16n Sandy soil, Soil pH 5.4.jpg)

(Field cr37se Sandy soil , Soil pH 5.7.jpg)

(Field cr37ne Loams and Light clays , Soil pH 6.0.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Field cr16n Sandy soil, Soil pH 5.4.jpg (57KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments Field cr37se Sandy soil , Soil pH 5.7.jpg (90KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments Field cr37ne Loams and Light clays , Soil pH 6.0.jpg (43KB - 123 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)