AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Riddle me this, cover crop gurus.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 11/20/2012 22:50 (#2708499)
Subject: Riddle me this, cover crop gurus.

SW Ohio
Ok, I am half nuts.
I also tend to get to thinking about something and how to "get it done"

Planting cover crops behind our normal corn and beans ALWAYS takes a back seat, here in greater metropolis-land flying on anything is out of the question.

Bean ground, by its lower residue, is the first place to plant a cover, and generally gets harvested sooner.

Here is where my non nuts half comes in....
Why not put a grass seed box from a grain drill on the back side of the bean head, to meter out the seed. Then need some way to get it in the ground(or do I?? What covers would be OK just getting dropped on the ground before the combine dumps all the residue back over it? Radish? ryegrass? etc.?) What kind of volumes of seed are we talking-----how big of a seed box to cover say 20 acres between fills?? If the seed needed put INTO the dirt, would a simple single disc work if the residue covers it up? I think I could come up with an opener that would work just half donkey-ed enough to plant a cover and not screw up the combining operation, even backing up, if 10-15-20" rows are semi-OK. I mean we are only talking ten to twenty openers on a 20' head, admit under the feeder house is a challenge but not impossible. Maybe just a spinner broadcast under the combine?? What say you, think it could work??
I did say I was half nuts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)