AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Busy day with fires in our state and on our farm.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

aussiebagger
Posted 11/20/2012 19:51 (#2708066)
Subject: Busy day with fires in our state and on our farm.

Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Yesterday was a day of severe to catastrophic fire weather for our state. Some large fires where already burning in different parts of the state.
I have recently changed positions in our local volunteer fire service from brigade captain to deputy group officer, helping to look after 8 brigades.
I was called early afternoon to transport drivers to a nearby town so they could take local fire appliances on an 800km trip to Port Lincoln and then our crews get flown over to help.
On my way home a fire was reported in our area. I responded in the command car I was driving and fortunately it was small and our crews had it dealt with quickly. I left as a dry lightning storm approached. As I called clear of that fire we were responded to another fire and 3 more before we could get to that one.
After searching we worked out it was all for the same fire. As that fire was contained others where called in directly to us. We sent trucks to them straight from the fire ground. As one was responding they saw lightning start a fire and called us to say they where going to deal with that one. The location placed it on some rented land we have on the south east end of our farm. I was released to go there. As soon as I turned the vehicle around I could see a thin plume of smoke further north. I headed to the fire on the rented land and could see the northern smoke building and called my parents who confirmed it was just north of our farm.
When I arrived on the rented land the crew there had that fire out. We took off for the northern fire. It was in a pine forrest which joins our place.
When I arrived the flames where coming out of the tree tops and it was also burning in some natural scrub. I called to upgrade the alarm level to get more trucks and the professional operator in headquarters told me he had no idea who to send, as they didn't know who was already out. It turns out they where getting two fires reported every minute and had over 300 in the state yesterday.I was confident the fire wouldn't impact on ours or any other farms and we could keep it in the scrub and forrest.
An incoming strike team I was unable to talk with on the radio as it was to busy. I just drove in front of them and got them to follw me around to the head of the fire. As we drove up there God sent us a small shower of rain which made the fire controlable. Some forestry units arrived also. The fire was contained and the mopping up went on into the night.When I was replaced and returned to our base at 8:30pm I found out the electricity had been off since the lightning strom.
I got home at 10pm to help clean up after milking. What a day! Here's a new report:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/firefighters-brace-as-raging-fire-bears-down-on-port-lincoln-on-the-eyre-peninsula/story-e6frea83-1226520728951

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)