AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

red/ crimson clover frost seeded into barley question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kylesupplee
Posted 11/18/2012 08:48 (#2703512)
Subject: red/ crimson clover frost seeded into barley question

Thompsontown, Pennsylvania
thinking about adding barley to my rotation instead of wheat next year, taking to mill, grain banking and getting back mixed with fine ground shelled corn....barley around here is typically off mid June, the planned crop behind my small grains is a triticale/annual ryegrass mix with maybe some crimson clover and radish. This would be planted mid to late august, some years planning to make a fall baleage cutting but mainly for two big spring cuttings of haylage before planting beans....would I have time to either A. have the frost seeded clover produce a little beneficial nitrogen and organic matter by say August 1st before killing with glyphosate and 2-4d or B. enough time to produce a little beneficial nitrogen and enough growth to make a cutting of heifer baleage off the clover/straw? seems kinda a waste to have the ground sit idle from mid june to mid august with nothing going on but want to follow my small grains with the small grain/annual rye mix so i make sure i don't get busy cutting corn silage etc. in late august and sept and get the annual rye mix in before its getting late on the calendar.....TIA Kyle
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)