AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What destroyed my corn in this field?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

crabbynuggets
Posted 11/14/2012 00:27 (#2696153)
Subject: What destroyed my corn in this field?

I acquired this quarter in fall of 2010. It has two 50 acre fields and an 11 acre field and some pasture. In 2011, 11 acres were corn, 50 were SB, and 50 were PP.

Corn did 150 that year and beans did 39 and PP had tillage radish planted on it. I then moldboard plowed by corn stalks, chisel plowed my bean stubble, and then all three fields got field cultivator in the spring with adequate fertilizer.

This year the whole works was planted to corn. The COC did 63 bushel, the COB did around 101 and the corn on PP did 120.

The COC and COB have the same soil type, which is mostly loam.

Why did the COC yield so much worse than the COB? Does moldboard plowing take that much moisture out of the soil? Or did it have something to do with fertility? That shouldn't be since they were tested separately and fertilized properly. Corn hybrids were mostly the same.

Is corn on corn that destructive on the soil, or was it just my tillage practices?

I haven't been farming long so I'm trying to fine tune my skills. I'd like to do some more corn on corn this year and have a disk ripper now so no more plowing. Suppose I will have better results? Or suppose I should just stick to beans on corn?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)