AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Late Weaning? Good Idea or Bad Idea?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 10/29/2012 23:56 (#2668087)
Subject: Late Weaning? Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I've got a surplus of hay and balage. I don't really want to mess around with selling hay so I would rather just stock up on cattle. I normally wean my calves mid-November and sell them at the first sale in January. Was thinking maybe I should just keep them on the cows until mid-January and sell calves in early March.

I already ran the calves (cut/vac) once a couple of weeks ago and will probably booster them in Dec. If I do wean late, would it be better to hold off the boosters until closer to the sale?

Providing I can keep them open-haired is there anything else I have to worry about getting docked for? I used to assume that the local feedlots would all be full by then and the price would go down, but that doesn't seem to be the case in recent years as far at the price goes.

I bought some bred heifers at a sale last week and they were so cheap I got worried that there must be something wrong with them, but haven't seen any problems yet. Maybe I should just sell the calves as normal and try to buy more bred cows instead? Something tells me that if bred heifers are selling for less than 600lb heifer calves, maybe it's time to buy bred heifers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)