AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plugged seed tubes - is it seed firmer related?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 7/4/2012 15:53 (#2466427)
Subject: Plugged seed tubes - is it seed firmer related?

NE Iowa
Have had Keeton seed firmers for at least 10 years now. Used to have the low profile on a Case planter and now the original ones on a Great Plains. I replaced my seed tubes last winter and thought the seed firmers were getting a little week so when I put them back on I added an extra tie band to give them a little extra down pressure. When I planted (no-till) the ground conditions were average and not any wetter than normal when I plant. Had a handful of times that the monitor went off and the seed tube was plugged. After the corn came up I found several more spots where a row was plugged for a while but not long enough to trip the monitor. There would be a 10'gap and then 20 seeds in the next foot. Because of curvy contoured rows, steep hills, old tractor, and having to turn the herbicide spray on I tend to stop on the ends when I pick up or put the planter down. Do you think the plugged seed tubes is caused by the being stopped on the ends while raising and lowering or was it caused by increasing the down pressure on my Keeton seed firmers? Never had an trouble until this year. Debating whether to take the the seed firmers off or not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)