AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydraulic drive planter design?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 6/25/2012 09:21 (#2448642)
Subject: Hydraulic drive planter design?

South Georgia
I'm planning to convert my Deere 1700 6 row (wide) planter to hydraulic drive. Doesn't seem to be that complicated a concept, so I think I can do what I need to do fairly cost-effectively.

I'm trying to figure out what size hydraulic motor I need to use to give me enough power at my lowest desired rpm, but not be too big to be able to run at my highest desired rpm. Don't want to get into building a jackshaft or anything to get any double-reduction, and I have a pretty wide range of desired speeds, from high rpm to low rpm. My highest meter rpm in normal use will be about 44, when planting peanuts (50 cell plate, 6 seed per foot, 4 mph), and my lowest will be maybe 10 or 12 rpm, planting cotton (about a 6" seed spacing with a 64 hole plate, 5 mph), or planting corn in the dry corners (about a 15" spacing, 30 hole plate, 5 mph or so). Dry corners meaning where the irrigation doesn't reach.

The gear reduction from the drillshaft (what I call it anyway) to the meter is 1.4736842105:1. (19 tooth drive, 28 tooth driven)

I think about the most gear reduction I can get from the motor to the drillshaft is 1.66666:1, using a 12 tooth (50 pitch) drive and a 20 tooth driven. The 20 tooth is about all I have adequate clearance for, and although I can get a 10 tooth drive, I'm not sure I want a sprocket that small.

This gives me an overall reduction of 2.456:1 from my motor to the meter, meaning I would have a motor speed of from 19.8 rpm to around 110 rpm. A pretty wide range, I know. Is this too wide a range to attain without having to change drillshaft gears between crops? I really would rather not have to.

I suppose I need to size the motor large enough so that I can achieve the lowest desired rpm and have reasonably smooth motor control. How many gpm do I need at this low limit? A 12 cid motor will give me 1 gpm at my low end, and a little under 6 at the high end. Is that enough? I know it is on the high end of the range, but not sure about the low.

The planters are pulled with a Deere 8330, so hydraulic flow isn't a problem, but I'm hoping to run the vac fan and the hydraulic drive off the same remote. (We rip and strip-till in the same pass as planting, so yes, we need that much tractor for a 6 row planter here.)

Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate them.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)