AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

autopilot whipping back and forth rapidly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mhiler100
Posted 5/11/2012 07:14 (#2378443)
Subject: autopilot whipping back and forth rapidly

NW IA
Running an STX 480 w/ Autopilot, last fall and this spring, we are getting intermittent bouts of the tractor whipping back and forth violently (3-4 times per second) with the autosteer engaged. This phenomenon comes and goes, and we have been trying to isolate the cause.

1) not the monitor - it did this with the FMX last fall, and we are using a CFX 750 this spring, same issue.
2) switched out the NAV II controller, same issue.

My next guesses are either the autosense sensor or the steering valve itself.

Some observations that I've noticed during these bouts:

There is no apparent change in the CFX status (i.e. satellite count, HDOP #, correction age, offline distance, etc) and it keeps engaged with no errors, despite wiggling pretty significantly.

One night as I was running the field cultivator, I was floating the wings and wheels, as usual. Autosteer had been working fine for about 2-3 hours. After I turned one pass, it started to do it lightly, but it's like a sneeze, the first tickle just means the big one is coming. But I noticed that it was made worse as I was actively running the hydraulics letting the cultivator back in. Just to try something, I took the valves out of float, and the wiggle went away, I was able to run the rest of the night.

However, last night it began the same thing, but I was already running without float trying to determine if that was a true contributing factor or not. So apparently that is only a minor contributing cause.

Long story short, anyone seen something similar? My guesses are either
1) electrical issue confusing the steering valve
2) possibly air in the hydraulics
3) some contaminant or a leak in the steering valve.

TIA for any ideas or suggestions.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)