AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4920 steering knees - finished mine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dewgubbe
Posted 3/9/2012 13:15 (#2277622)
Subject: 4920 steering knees - finished mine

Northeast Nebraska
Finished up my 4920 steering knees this morning.

I started on the left side. I tried removing the entire wheel, center section and outer section. Found out you cant do that unless you take the brake calipers off first. So then I took the outer wheel off, brake calipers, and then the inner wheel. Then I took the pallet forks and supported the wheel motor assembly under each strut. I used a 20 ton bottle jack to remove the steering arm that is on top of the spindle. The jack was probably close to maxed out and then crack it with a sledge. Then I let the whole assembly down. Its balanced surprisingly well, I put a 2" square tube on the cross wise on the forks for the end of the wheel motor hub to rest on. To remove the spindle from the struts, it took two 20 ton jacks. one on each side of each individual strut. They were kind of angled between the wheel motor housing and the bottom of the spindle, but it worked. Again both jacks were pretty much maxed out and crack it with a sledge. Then do the same to the other strut.

I took the knees all the way out and cleaned them up good. Welded up the gouges on the axle tube. Then put in the bushings. I replaced a few of the pads on the axle shims and put it back together.

Things went really good, easier than I thought. One thing to make sure of if you do this, is to make sure you install the cam for the wheel angle sensor correctly. There is a top and the bottom. It is held on the spindle by a roll pin. If you put it on wrong, you've got problems, because its real hard to get the roll pin out. The hole for the roll pin doesnt go all the way through the spindle. When installing the cam ring, you just tap the roll pin in until its flush. To remove the ring, you just drive the roll pin in the rest of the way. If you plan to re-use, good luck getting the roll pin out.
I made the mistake and installed the cam ring up side down. After alot of fuss, i realized I could just drive the roll pin in, and then put the cam ring on the other spindle. They are the same for each side.

My sprayer has 4100 hours on it. The LEFT spindle was shot, grooved where the top bushing rode. The bushings in the LEFT knee maybe had 500 more hours left on them. ON THE RIGHT SIDE, the spindle could have been re-used, but the lower bushing was shot. The coating on the bushing was wore off, and had begin wearing into the bronze/brass.

I should be ready for another 3500 hours. Any questions, fire away.

Edit: the roll pin hole will be pointing straight back, when the WAS cam ring is installed correctly, the bump will be to the INSIDE (sprayer side of the spindle). If its upside down, the bump would be to the outside (towards the tire)

Edited by dewgubbe 3/9/2012 13:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)