AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variable Rate Fertilizer Experience Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DeereRunner
Posted 10/21/2011 16:53 (#2014143)
Subject: Variable Rate Fertilizer Experience Questions

Last year we invested some money into a yield monitor for the combine. We really wanted to use this so we can analyze where our fields need some work, and also to make sure we are at least putting back the nutrients we are taking out. This summer we decided to take it one step further and convert our fertilizer spreader so we could make it do variable rate. I am very familiar with setting up equipment to run variable rate, but when it comes to the agronomic side of things I would like to hear some others advice/experiences in doing this. We can see the benefit in the variable rate (putting nutrients where they are needed, reduced cost in fertilizer, hopefully better yields, and better land management), but we want to make sure we are using this technology to it's full potential. Here's some questions I have:

1.) Would you variable rate all nutrients (0-0-60, 11-52-0 or 18-46-0) on all fields, or would you do it for only a certain crop or certain nutrient? I have had a person tell me that he would only recommend VRA fields that are going to corn the next crop year. He also said that he would steer clear of variable rating any fields that are going to wheat.........................any thoughts here? Our fertilizer spreader is only capable of applying rates of 100 lbs/Acre or more, anything below this I cannot hold a good rate.

2.) If we are going to variable rate the granular fertilizers, should we also look at variable rating our Nitrogen when we sidedress with 28%? I know this can be a very touchy area because corn is such a high user of Nitrogen.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, past experiences, or what to concentrate on I would really appreciate any input that you have. Thanks in advance.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)