AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dilemma with Titan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakebird
Posted 9/2/2011 09:16 (#1942664)
Subject: Dilemma with Titan

In early June I took my 04 2388 into a local Titan to have it run through their combine up time service special. The service manager went through a couple of things that needed to be done and I had him do 3 of the 6 things that were wrong with it. They replaced a sensor on the grain loss, replaced a sensor on the feederhouse for auto center, and they replaced the shaker arm bushings, to which I got a bill for 2100 for labor alone. I went in yesterday to complain about the bill and he told me that labor to replace the bushings was 20hours. I really don't think it should take this long, I've done ones on 1660's in less than a day.

We took that machine 175 miles away to harvest wheat and after 30 hours of time the bracket that holds the rotor drive gearbox broke into several pieces. I think it was broke when our local titan had it and they never caught it. I had replaced this same bracket 700 sep hours prior to this. We took it 40 miles to the local titan there on a thursday as they said they could get right on it. It was the following monday before they ordered parts. Tuesday they started, removed the torque sensing cam and then the shaft that holds the inner pulley on and the splined shaft wouldn't break free, they ended up removing it by cutting it off. I had to replace the inner pulley and shaft, at 1300 bucks. Remember this had just been removed 700 hours ago. The parts were all shipped next day and they put it together that following thursday. They ran the combine and said that it vibrated horribly and ended up pulling the feeder and rotor to find the drive hub on the back of the rotor to have bad bushings(i think this was bad 700 hours ago but the local titan didn't feel the vibration or check into why the first one had broke) The parts were ordered the following monday and was back together 18 days after I dropped it off. The labor from the last titan was 2000, Im not upset about this number at all. I am upset about the 1300 in parts for the back rotor drive that had to be cut off but the service manager said we could work some labor off for that. And I'm upset about the amount of time that they took, and the brush off and excuses I'd get every time they weren't working on it.

Remember this all happened in the heart of wheat harvest, luckily we had a good run with only one 2388 but still got rain on our wheat 2 times due to the fact that we only had one machine running.

My biggest issue is with my local Titan, ,I called around to different dealers and asked what they get for bushing removal and replacement and 3-6 hours was they normal range, definitely not 20. The fact that I had a machine down for 2 weeks in the heart of harvest after having a service special done on it makes me very upset. I get along with my local dealer and I normally do my own service and maintenance but we just ran out of time this spring to get it all done ourselves as this wheat harvest came up unexpectedly. I paid for an expert to find out what was wrong with my machine and I don't think i got it.

Comments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)