AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pasture calving - in the rain (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/20/2011 13:36 (#1680238)
Subject: Pasture calving - in the rain (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I was reminded of Rob's post below today when I went out to check on the cows and heifers. My good neighbor emailed me that a couple of my cows had calves in the past few days while I have been in SD & MN so I finally went out to see them.

We have had steady rain this morning and wouldn't you know it a heifer decides to calve right in the middle of a cold driving rain on a hillside. At least the rain is melting some of the snow.

I have to give my Huth T021 bull credit - it looks like they are all going to calve very soon. I am hoping for one cycle and it should be close except for a couple registered heifers purchased as bred. He did his job. Even this heifer was apparently able to calve on her own with no problems.

Here is a picture of this very nice if cold calf with the heifer trying to figure out what this lump is... A nice size calf - appears about 70 lb or so. Must have been born just an hour or so before the picture.

In the cold driving rain I was tempted to go warm and dry the calf but it is about 45 degrees F and the calf looks sturdy so I am going to just leave them alone for a bit. I might mess up the critical bonding period more than I help, especially with a heifer. I'll check on them later to see if the calf is up and nursing colostrum and the heifer has the calf more cleaned off.

Not the usual fluffy cute calf pictures bedded in a barn, but even with pasture calving in a cold driving rain a live, healthy heifer calf is still a welcome sight.

I'll add another picture of just an average 1100-1200 lb Hereford commercial cow (39) and her 2 day old T021 heifer calf.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 3/20/2011 18:17

(IMG_3181_pasture calving #3 new calf 3Y.JPG)

(IMG_3187_Calf 3Y a couple hours old.jpg)

(IMG_3191_Calf_3Y standing for the first time 032011.jpg)

(IMG_3174_Cow 39 and 2 day old heifer calf 39Y 032011.jpg)

(IMG_3192_Calving _Pasture 032011.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_3181_pasture calving #3 new calf 3Y.JPG (93KB - 194 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3187_Calf 3Y a couple hours old.jpg (77KB - 194 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3191_Calf_3Y standing for the first time 032011.jpg (84KB - 197 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3174_Cow 39 and 2 day old heifer calf 39Y 032011.jpg (78KB - 214 downloads)
Attachments IMG_3192_Calving _Pasture 032011.jpg (51KB - 219 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)