AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing Nooks and Crannies Before Winter / Grazing Corn Update (Pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/6/2009 02:08 (#951817)
Subject: Grazing Nooks and Crannies Before Winter / Grazing Corn Update (Pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I used to really enjoy mowing and seeing a nice neat mowed edge along the corn and woods, etc.  That was before cattle. Now I look at every little patch of grass around as feed and find myself thinking things like:  "Hey, don't mow that, there's a couple cows-days of grazing there!"

Well there is a lane between the north corn and woods I use to drive back to a storage shed. I usually mow it but haven't since summer. I've been crowding the woods when driving so there is some good grass left on part of it, about the last patch I have.

We've had a bit of snow but there is heavier snow coming according to the forecast.  So I took about a half hour today and strung up about 1/4 mile of hot wire to separate this grassy lane from the nearby corn. It is amazing what you can do in a few minutes with electric wire and cattle who respect it. Here are a few pictures.I have split the cattle into two groups. These are some of the cow/yearling heifers/bull group.

There was a gardening book in the 70's called "Square Foot Gardening"....maybe this is "Square Foot Grazing"??? I called the cattle and they came off of the corn they were grazing and followed me to the lane. I think they know somehow that this is the last green grass they are going to see for several months!

Update on the grazing standing corn: I just opened up a small area of corn a couple weeks ago so they can ease into it. They have eaten most of the ears in this area and are working on their next favorite part of the corn plant, leaves.

I am going to let them clean this up a bit more before opening up more. I want to save most of the corn to finish steers in late winter and get them as finished as I can for processing in March. Cow condition looks good, they don't need a lot more corn right now.

Here are a couple pictures of grazing the standing corn today before I opened up the lane. This RR/Triple variety seems to stand pretty well and be paletable. Stalks are not large diameter but stand well. This is the 4th or 5th year of continuous spring strip tilled corn on corn in this field.

FWIW, Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 12/6/2009 02:42

(IMG_2312_4.jpg)

(IMG_2314_6.jpg)

(IMG_2347_7.JPG)

(IMG_2278_1.jpg)

(IMG_2279_2.jpg)

(IMG_2293_3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2312_4.jpg (67KB - 175 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2314_6.jpg (69KB - 175 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2347_7.JPG (69KB - 191 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2278_1.jpg (77KB - 183 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2279_2.jpg (75KB - 169 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2293_3.jpg (82KB - 186 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)