AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

lubricating sealed bearing-drilling?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mca
Posted 11/15/2009 22:07 (#925648)
Subject: lubricating sealed bearing-drilling?

Southern Ontario
Gentlemen

Tonight a sealed bearing on my corn dryer started to squeek a bit. I placed some gear oil around it and it stopped making the noise. The bearing seems to be intact and doing its job, just that it started to chirp a bit. I dont think this gear oil will stop the noise for long.

I know I should probably shut the dryer down and replace the bearing. But we are finally into a strectch of good weather (here we had a nasty,wet, cold October). I should really take advantage of this warm, dry wonderful weather to harvest. Also, I calculate I only have 30 hours of drying left to go. (I still have an air drying bin to fill after this continuous flow dryer has completed the 30 hours).

I have heard of fellas greasing sealed bearings by drilling into the seal and injecting grease. I could try, it but am leary I may drill through the part that holds the bearing's balls together. Or getting drill filings inside the bearing. Or doing something else that may cause more harm than good. Any tips on how to do this and get a good result? Or would you just keep on placing the gear oil around the bearing? Or should I get in and replace the bearing with only 30 hours left to go?

An other reason I would rather not change the bearing now is that I do not like the idea of using a cutting torch with all that dryed grain and red dog/bees wings around. To clean out the dryer and refill in now would take a good four hours. It would be safer to do any replacement at the end of the season with the dryer all cleaned and washed out well.

Thanks in advance and Safe Harvest All.

MCA

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)